Thursday, November 29, 2007

Empty to be Refilled

"Something cannot be filled if it is already full. You must empty yourself of yourself so that God can fill you with His Spirit."

This is a quote (as best I can remember it) in a conversation I was listening to recently. I think that it is very true. Sometimes the biggest problem standing in my way is myself. Its difficult to get past my own desires and understanding and depend on God and His leading. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5 God wants to give me my greatest desires (Psalm 37:4) but He actually knows what will fulfill them better than I do. So I have to let go of what I think will fulfill my desire and let Him lead me to what will fulfill it more than I can even imagine. This can apply to so many areas of life: my job, how I run my classroom, relationships, things I do for my church, etc.

Working hard at my desk in my classroom. It was cold...
...but I turned the heat up :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you wrote this for Rocky and I was having a similar conversation with these verses this afternoon. Rocky and I have been desperately trying to move thinking it will be better but nothing opens up for us. And today we decided that God knows better than us and we should not stress out about it. Slowly we have been giving our worries over to God and we notice that we are happier now. And things work out without us interfering 

Need to turn up the heat in the office as well :p been wearing my coat the last few days. Oh well at least I got a clock so can't complain too much :)

Karlee said...

Praise God for the work He is doing in you and Rocky's lives. Its hard to surrender your wishes to Him, but it ALWAYS works out for the best.

We'll have to get that office heat turned up for our favorite secretary!!